View Single Post
Old August 13 2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: ST: Shaping a Cardassian - "Three or Four"

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
Is it that he just hasn't noticed? Or it's something he wouldn't want to believe of himself, as a good Cardassian?
It's something that he hasn't realised it happened. It didn't happen overnight, it was a slow process.
I see...that's very different from the very conscious, active searching and discerning process I tend to associate with such changes in belief.

Somehow, Berat's reaction doesn't surprise me at all
There was even a loud, "PFFFT!" noise to go with it, as if to say, What?! You're actually worried about little old me? You're SILLY!

If you're a nice person, if you don't show any signs of mean intent--even if you make a comment about his physical condition he's not likely to read bad intent into it. He's seen bad intent, so he knows the difference. He'd much rather a person be open and express genuine curiosity than get uncomfortable around him because of it. If you ask him, "How do you do _____?" and you're not using a snotty tone of voice, he'll happily answer you...maybe even give you a demonstration of how he's adapted. I think he figures that if a person is conducting themselves nicely, then curiosity is a normal and even good emotion that ought to be satisfied.

If he thought you were nice but you were too worried, he might even joke with you until you finally cracked and smiled. I can see him looking at someone who was doing that and saying, "Come on, I'm supposed to be the one who's all stiff and creaky, not you!" (With a big smile on his face.)

Every person is different, of course. Humor and openness are his way of handling it--a way that suits him.

It didn't even occur to him to find anything wrong or inappropriate with Karama's request--it was about Tavor's family, his wife and child and their health; it was nowhere near an undeserved promotion or anything of that kind. So Brenok did his best to help.
Exactly: Arenn Brenok to the rescue!!

"Doc Hetalc." Sounds good to me
The more I see it, the more I think he says something like that in informal situations.