View Single Post
Old August 13 2011, 05:45 AM   #3
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: ST: Shaping a Cardassian - "Three or Four"

Thankfully we can see that wasn't a universal attitude, though. Borin may not have seen the solution, but I didn't see him engage in the blame game or do anything that he didn't think was in both Amrita's and Tarin's best interests. He even swallowed his pride when the chance to give both of them the best quality of life arose. And Juval certainly cared.
Borin certainly cared, he just didn't have any other idea how to help Amrita and her child. That's why he swallowed his pride: his patients were more important than he. He knew it wasn't about him but about them.

Speaking of Glinn Karama's insights...this sentence really caught my attention: "Amrita’s gods were the witnesses that I was not perfect myself, so how could I expect that from anyone else?" I knew he abstained from zobar meat out of respect for his wife, but has he gone further than that?
Remember when I mentioned in a PM that I discovered something and that it would be in this story? I meant this one sentence.

I think that after twenty years with her, his views shifted a bit. I wouldn't call him a believer, but he's not a "pure atheist" any more. She caught him more than once on mentioning karma and he accepts her faith as a part of her, without criticizing or ridiculing it or her. So if you asked him, he would deny everything (he doesn't really realise what happened to his own views), but there is a change in how he sees the world.

One more thing...I was completely floored to see Karama so scared of Gul Brenok. I wasn't even sure it was Brenok he was afraid of; his fear was so great. At first I thought it had to be Jarol, except for the fact that this was a man. That was just shocking to me that he could see asking a simple question as some sort of abuse.
He wasn't afraid of Brenok, but of Brenok's possible reaction to misinterpreting Karama's request. As you know, Brenok got his position due to being pushed there by his friend, without any experience and qualifications. He doesn't like it and in the result he doesn't like anyone using their contacts and friends to gain something that they didn't work hard for. Karama worried that Brenok might take his request as an attempt of abusing Tavor's relationship with Brenok for personal gain.
Or that Brenok might find it offensive: "Oh, you're a handicap, so you must know some good docs!" The last thing Tavor wanted to do was insulting his commanding officer.
And also--Karama was overreacting. Normally, he wouldn't be so scared and worried, but it wasn't the easiest time for him.

Of course he was wrong and Brenok didn't see it that way, but Karama knows that such situations are a sore spot and it's not wise to irritate it.

Overall, good story!
Thanks for reading