View Single Post
Old August 11 2011, 05:31 PM   #50
Christopher
Writer

Re: La-La Land Records Releasing a 3-CD Set of TNG Scores at Comic-Con

I listened to the rest of the McCarthy disc last night. I'd forgotten how much his Sherlock Holmes motif in "Elementary, Dear Data" was a pastiche of Bruce Broughton's Young Sherlock Holmes theme.

The problem with the disc is that the good stuff is at the beginning. Once you get into the Berman-mandated "wallpaper" era, without any distinct melodies or leitmotifs, it all sounds pretty interchangeable (which is why it's so odd that Berman thought the opposite was true).

And why in the world is the final track in "All Good Things..." entitled "I Have a Gun"? Is that some kind of poker allusion, or a private joke of McCarthy's (maybe facetiously expressing frustration after seven years of hard work)?

I think it's great that we now have soundtracks of all of TNG's first six episodes, the entire set of scores written before Berman's "wallpaper" rule started to rein in the composers. McCarthy's "Farpoint" and "Haven," Jones's "The Naked Now" and "Where No One Has Gone Before," and Steiner's "Code of Honor" are all throwbacks to the TOS style favored by Roddenberry and Justman, making them some of the show's most memorable scores, and now we have all of them.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote