View Single Post
Old August 9 2011, 08:52 PM   #3814
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
It's funny that Bayern lost their first match yesterday, and because of a mistake of Neurer no less, very amusing. Also Dortmund looks very, very strong. It will be interesting to see how this still quite young team can cope with the stress of the Champions League and whether or not that will affect their performance in the league, but judging by what I see last weekend, all other German teams that aim at winning the title should be a bit concerned imo.
I watched the Dortmund game on Friday and it was really lovely. I vastly prefer Dortmund's game to Barcelona's. Barcelona is lulling you in and making you fall asleep. No emotion in their game. Just endless passing in midfield and then finally some attack.

Dortmund on the other hand is fast-paced combination football that's more vertical than horizontal. Even their defenders don't make horizontal passes. Mats Hummels didn't pass the ball to one of the other defenders all night. It was always straight into midfield or even further forward. His passing and vision is amazing for a defender.
And Götze/Kagawa/Gündogan/Großkreutz up front are a joy to watch.

Guardiola and Mourinho should be envious. I wonder if they liked it... ok... I admit I only mentioned Mourinho to post this:

Completely agree about Barcelona, and I'm looking forward to seeing Dortmund in the Champions League this season (and Napoli too, come to think of it). Great to see some fresh faces in there... except for Man City. I've had a soft spot for Dortmund since I went there for a long weekend back in 2004 - not sure they were any good back then though!

Bet Derby are wishing they'd had a riot or two to avoid this embarrassment - 0-3 to Shrewsbury at half time. Comical.