View Single Post
Old August 7 2011, 08:39 PM   #85
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: The Federation Must Die.

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Sci, are you a professional writer? You've written so much content in this thread, it could easily make a multi-part article in some publication.
Don't know about Sci--but I myself am a paid writer for a political blog site....

Sci wrote:

I know that Jack Nicholson is very charismatic, but I do wish that people would remember that the entire point of A Few Good Men is that Nicholson's character is a pathological narcissist who thinks that his position in the United States Marine Corps gives him carte blanche to break the law whenever he wants. He's a character who thinks he's above the law and above morality, not a character to be admired.

I was making a joke... when someone went on about how Sisko is sitting outside paradise (paraphrased). Of course Sisko != Jessup.

Jessup was a very sad case. The front line fighting military have to be very tough and thus go to some extremes to ensure the men will be able to fight successfully without risking the lives of others. He crossed the line, ordering that code red. The loss of investment in him for the military was huge... all because he couldn't see how he was taking things a little too far.
Y'know, my thoughts about Jessep are that, had he been using his mind when hearing about the general incompetence of Santiago, he'd have simply wondered how the heck a guy that sickly got past MARINE basic traning. Then, he'd have confronted that doctor that somehow pronounced the lad completely fit for duty....

The thing about Jessep's speech is--though, as Sci points out, the point of the fims was to condemn his attitude--like Olver Stone's Wall Street, it actually had the opposite effect from the intended one. As you may be aware, Wall Street actually became an inspiration to the "corporate raiders" Stone was trying to condemn--and it became a nice recruiting tool for the Street.

In the case of the speech--approve of Jessep's actions or not, there is something to what he says. Though he uses those words to defend his grave error in judgement (he should have simply busted the kid out of the Corps, with a dishonorable discharge for his sorry conduct)--still, by itself, the speech is a winner.
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote