View Single Post
Old August 7 2011, 05:50 PM   #3804
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Ah, football returns and what could be a better start to the season than mugging West Ham on their own patch, on live TV, and in injury-time to boot? (beating Birmingham maybe?)

Early days of course, but West Ham certainly didn't look the force that's going to walk through the division as many predicted. There's no comparison between them and the strong Newcastle side that dropped down a few years ago, and they could yet still lose some of their best players before the month is out. Cardiff, on the other hand, looked a lot more fresh and resilient than we've been in a while. Gerrard has slotted back in well, and Cowie, Taylor and Gesetede look very good acquisitions. Even Marshall, back between the sticks after a year out, had a superb game. Miller and Earnshaw can't play together, though - we still need another senior striker to pair up with one of them. Jury's still out on Gunnarsson, who managed to throw two throw-ins straight out of play, and Conway who was anonymous.

I also watched AFC Wimbledon's first game in the League. I know they're risen a long way in a short time, but it was like parks football!

ps boring boring Forest