View Single Post
Old August 5 2011, 03:15 PM   #20
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: The Federation Must Die.

cwl wrote: View Post
RyuRoots wrote: View Post
What gets me is the insinuation that the Federation wanting others to join is SHOCKING AND CORRUPT AND TERRIBLE. ...it's a freaking alliance of worlds. The more members you have, the better the position of the Federation as a whole is, and it's mutually beneficial both for the whole (since that's another source of innovation, thinkers, resources, etc.) and for the world in question (more support, inclusion in beneficial treaties, etc.). I never understood why being nice to worlds in hopes of eventual membership is somehow underhanded and dastardly. Isn't that generally a good way generate interest in membership? By showing benefits and being a trustworthy ally?

And for that matter, when does the Federation EVER, in all of filmed canon Star Trek, PUSH ITSELF on other worlds? The only times we really see prospective worlds (that I can think of! feel free to correct me if I'm missing something) are in the TNG episode "First Contact" where THEY AGREE TO LEAVE FOREVER at the aliens' request, and with Bajor, who wanted the Federation to oversee the fallout from the occupation.
The Federation once described by the Klingons as a 'homo sapiens only club' is not an alliance of worlds but a Federation of worlds. Which implies some sort of top down rule. a lot of the smaller worlds could be seriously impacted by membership in a negative way by policies they dont agree with.
The Klingons only said that because they are the Feds enemies and are biased against them. The "Homo Sapiens Only" thing was propaganda.

About the Federation wanting people to join: While it wouldn't be wrong if they didn't try to force their morals on the members, they do. They also, as far as I know, take away the cultures ability to have its own military, leaving them under the protection of Starfleet (Quite possibly the most corrupt part of the Federation).
Worlds who want to join the Federation are fully aware of this set-up, and it is their choice the whole way through. The Feds don't "take away" anything: It's their voluntary choice to give it up to begin with.

About the not interfering with internal affairs: If someone is committing genocide, do you just stand by and watch while millions, possibly billions, of innocent people are killed? Of course not. If you do, you cannot call yourself morally superior to others. Now I'm not saying its okay to interfere with every internal affair, but if its something like genocide then you should try and stop it.
You have to use realpolitik in these situations: IS it possible to really affect anything here, and if you have to resort to military force to do anything then will it be worth all the resources and lives of your OWN CITIZENS for it or will it only result in MORE death?

Sometimes you just have to know when to fold em.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote