View Single Post
Old August 3 2011, 07:35 PM   #234
zar
Captain

Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

Anwar wrote: View Post
I understand why they didn't do that very much: All the set designs and props and new models for space stations would've broken the budget. The reason they did those holosuite stories was because they were easily re-used props from TNG.

If they'd waited until DS9 was done, they'd be able to easily re-use DS9's props and sets for repair station/commerce hub stories and the CGI tech would also have been refined for cheaper easier usage as well.

It was a combo of rushing the show into production, and not hiring a new permanent writing staff from day one (for more consistency), as well as economic reasons, that made the less than it could've been. Not that I'm disappointed but I can at least understand WHY they did what they did.
I think you're greatly overestimating costs. CGI isn't a typical resource. It's cheap, it doesn't need to be rationed, and it's easy to reuse. We DID see plenty of new CGI models. There's no reason some of them couldn't have been more repair stations etc.

And once you have a model, it can be easily re-animated. So if they damaged the Voyager in one episode, they could have easily taken the damaged CGI model and made flyby shots and so forth to replace the stock footage of the brand-new-looking Voyager.

The real reason was they were just too shy to try this type of continuity outside of two-parters and such. It was a missed opportunity.

Anwar wrote: View Post
As for the Borg, I'll just keep reiterating that they should've have a story where they get their hands on a Borg database (or Seven debriefs them) that lets them know that there are different types of Borg vessels with varying power levels and most of the time VOY runs into the smaller weaker Borg ships that are much easier to beat.
That's fine, but you can't really make this suggestion while simultaneously defending what they did do. That would have been a completely different story. As it was, they decided to have Voyager run into a new, beefed-up type of cube and then head straight into the very heart of Borg territory and meet the queen and all that. Those ideas can't coexist with the "we're just sneaking around their weaker defenses" idea.
zar is offline   Reply With Quote