View Single Post
Old July 30 2011, 03:58 PM   #250
Python Trek
Commodore

View Python Trek's Twitter Profile
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Dac wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
I would still rate the movie higher than Thor though. Thor had some cool moments, but the transitions and tonal shifts between the Earth and Asgard scenes were jarring as hell. I thought Captain America flowed MUCH better.
Hell no, Thor wins for being a complete movie with a story that went from A to B. Captain America just started and then shit happened with no resolution at all. The big finale was all of 5 minutes long with maybe only 10 punches being pulled. Bucky's death was unexpected, but incredibly shallow and not hard hitting in the slightest. Hell, Thor made a conscious effort to reconcile alien humans who live forever on a city in the clouds with "our" world, and did a damned good job at it. Captain America had an alt history world war 2 with giant futuristic Skyscrapers in New York, Hover cars and lasers without so much as a wink to the audience.
I haven't seen the Cap film yet, but your comments are, IMO, an encapsulation of the various reviews that I've read. I had really high hopes for this one, though....I've been a huge Cap fan since I was about five.