View Single Post
Old July 26 2011, 09:42 PM   #186
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

A- (though in retrospect I should have clicked on A)

I really liked it. Of the four comic book films to be released this year, this was the one I'd been looking forward to most, and it did not disappoint me. Chris Evans was simply fantastic as Steve Rogers; when he was first cast in the role, I was a little skeptical but open-minded. Rogers is such a different personality type than Johnny Storm, but Evans pulled it off brilliantly--honestly, I like him better as Steve than I did as Johnny. The rest of the cast was great, too, particularly Hayley Atwell and (surprisingly) Tommy Lee Jones. I don't mean "surprisingly" because I dislike Jones or anything, I just wasn't expecting much from Colonel Phillips, and he turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. Stanley Tucci was also excellent as Doctor Erskine, it's too bad he was only in the movie for a short time.

I really liked all the ways they've tied this movie into the rest of the MCU. Red Skull discovering Odin's secret hiding place for the Cosmic Cube (although, why was the Tesseract hidden on Earth instead of in Odin's fancy vault in Asgard?), Howard Stark being Cap's go-to guy for the technical stuff, etc. I'm a huge geek when it comes to that sort of stuff. Some folks out there don't like it, but I love it. I also got a kick out of Captain America the movie star, touring across the country and selling war bonds. Joe Johnston's flare for the 1930s/1940s era really came out the best in those scenes, I thought.

My only real gripe with the movie is that it sometimes moved too fast. I would have like another ten minutes or so to give the latter half of the movie some breathing room. The first half of the movie, with Steve going through the process of being selected, and then his experiences as basically a walking propaganda tool, were excellent, but the second half of the movie, after Cap rescued Bucky, the Commandos, and all those other soldiers, felt kind of rushed.

And the music. Alan Silvestri created a wonderful and memorable theme song for Captain America. I still have it stuck in my head. The score was just fantastic, IMO it's by far the best of the MCU movie scores. I didn't find anything in The Incredible Hulk, Thor, or either Iron Man movie to be particularly memorable, but I'm still humming the Cap theme and tapping my foot to it two hours later.

Looking forward to The Avengers!

Last edited by Skywalker; July 26 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote