View Single Post
Old July 26 2011, 08:59 PM   #41
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: What do Star Trek fans think of Stargate?

SG-17 wrote: View Post
{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Ninjacore wrote: View Post
I cannot take star gate seriously, if america had access to all that alien technology, they'd use it to destroy their rivals as well as anyone else who stood before them, the military industrial machine would simply use it to become the new world empire...not to protect primitive people in other galaxies...
I cannot take Stargate seriously because every damn culture on every damn planet they visit speaks English.

There, I said it.
That was done on purpose so that half of the episode wasn't devoted to Daniel figuring out how to talk to the locals.
Yeah, certain conventions and conveniences are necessary to keep the episodes from getting bogged down. That much should be obvious.

But they could have done a better job of varying the planetary topographies. BSG also shot in the Vancouver area, yet they managed to find a deserty/scrubby part of British Columbia to film in that looked strikingly different from the usual Pine Trees "R" Us situation.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
SG-17 wrote: View Post
We were the second evolution of their form. From what I gather they purposely seeded Earth so that mammals would evolve the same way that they did. Hell, maybe they were the ones who wiped out the Dinosaurs.
Which is also a huge load of crap. It was stupid when TNG did it, it was stupid when Stargate did it, not just because it's bad science but because it also gives people a deeply wrong impression of how evolution works.
This "convenience" bugged me because it contributes to popular misconceptions about science, whereas it should be obvious to everyone that aliens won't really be speaking English (tho maybe I shouldn't make that assumption, either.)