View Single Post
Old July 26 2011, 05:56 PM   #67
C_Miller
Captain

Re: JD's Comic Book Thread

JD wrote: View Post
I thought Bendis was supposed to be a really good writer?
Bendis has his strengths and weaknesses. His strengths are teenagers (Ultimate Spider-Man, Powers) and hard boiled realistic stuff (Daredevil, Alias). His weaknesses are really everything else. When you get down to it most of his characters talk like they're teenagers, it's especially jarring when it's Captain America or Iron Man.

And I think there's a decent amount of backlash from Avengers Disassembled being a classic "Body Count" event where a lot of longtime characters including several fan favorites were killed or destroyed beyond repair.

One of my problems is that they tried to make the Avengers (in New Avengers) analogous to the JLA at DC by getting together the company's greatest and most recognizeable Heroes (Wolverine and Spider-Man), yet he could never craft a story that warranted these characters.

Edit: As for Identity Crisis, yeah, I agree it's very well written. Each issue took me longer than 30 seconds to read, which is frankly how I judge a comic any more. And I will say it was one of the better events in my time of reading comics. Villains possibly learning of identities and running amuck with them is a great concept, but there was too much plot-induced stupidity and a lot of stuff was played for shock value.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote