View Single Post
Old July 26 2011, 02:01 AM   #1257
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Re: What games are you playing currently?

Goliath wrote: View Post
I just started playing F.E.A.R. 3 tonight. I'm enjoying myself so far--the first two levels offer some pretty high-intensity gun battles. Though the game seems to have lost a lot of the spooky atmosphere that made the first one so memorable.
Huh. Well, that was quick.

F.E.A.R. 3 has a pretty short single-player campaign. That seems to be because it's designed to be replayed: finishing the campaign once as the Point Man unlocks a second character, the ghost of Paxton Fettel. And you can play co-op, if you can find a second player. I haven't had any luck so far.

On the good side: this game does feature some very good shooting action. And it reveals the personal histories of the game's protagonists. And it does recapture some of the first game's spooky atmosphere, at times. And the scenes where you get to pilot a mech are fun as always.

But on the bad side: the campaign is short, as I said. And since it seems to have been designed for co-op play, it's also pretty tough. I usually play single-player shooters on the Medium difficulty level, but I had to dial this down to Easy: the boss battles were kicking my ass.

And to top it off, the game has some very strange graphical issues--your movement seems to stutter quite frequently, even if you turn down the video settings. The game never becomes unplayable, but it's annoying. The developers have released an update that was supposed to fix this issue, but it persists on my machine. This is not the sort of problem I expect to find with a finished game that cost me fifty bucks.