View Single Post
Old July 25 2011, 07:36 AM   #219
Kirsten Beyer
Re: Star Trek: Voyager: Children Of The Storm Review Thread

Thrawn wrote: View Post
And with this tour de force, Beyer takes her rightful place as the heart and soul of modern TrekLit; the moral compass that's perhaps been lacking or vague of late.

Brilliant. Just brilliant. I adore Kirsten Beyer and I hope she writes 40 more of these. And, wonder that Full Circle was, this is definitely the best one yet. Keep it coming.
I'm going to sleep better tonight pressure or anything.

Seriously, this is one of the most extraordinary things I have ever heard said about something I've written. I'm obviously thrilled the story worked so well for you. I can honestly say that this is one of those times that reading someone else's thoughts about it makes me think really hard about my process. So much of what you've said seems obvious in hindsight, but I wasn't really conscious of addressing post-Destiny issues as I was writing it, beyond the notion that occurred to me quite clearly as the O'Donnell/Fife relationship was developing that the younger officers, of which there would be many in such a fleet, would have come of age in a time that was so different from that early spirit of exploration that defines Starfleet for me. To bring those two realities into conflict was a conscious choice. But also developed so organically from who O'Donnell and Fife are as people to me, that it's hard to separate me trying to make a point from me just honoring who these guys are.

I don't know if that makes sense, but there you have it.

Thank you again.

Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote