View Single Post
Old July 24 2011, 02:49 AM   #259
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: ST: Shaping a Cardassian - "Strength Without Sacrifice is Useless"

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Gul Re'jal wrote:
If her father cared about her "disability" that much, I don't think he would want her to join the military, and not any of his other children.
I thought that he wanted her in the military to try to cover for his "disgrace." The "shame" he foolishly thinks her condition brings him.
He wanted her, because she is the oldest child, so in a way a "representative" of all his children. I think it's even stated somewhere in the story.
Are you thinking of the Cardassian equivalent of the Voight-Kampff test from Blade Runner?
It's been ages since I watched that film, so didn't remember this detail.

In Star Trek, especially TNG, there were a few different tests for different purposes, but often included some visual imagery and testing reaction. I think Data was subjected to one of those at least once. So that was my "inspiration" for the form of this personality test.
Right...but on AU Dukat's Cardassia, no one forced him to choose that. Even as strong as the Oralian culture is there, I don't see the post-Cataclysm society as one that bullies people into believing.
I didn't suggest that anyone forced AU Dukat to anything. I don't know how he became an Oralian, so I didn't mean that. I meant that he "is" an Oralian, and Gul Dukat "isn't" and that makes them think differently about their own place in the universe.