View Single Post
Old July 23 2011, 11:02 PM   #256
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: ST: Shaping a Cardassian - "Strength Without Sacrifice is Useless"

My comments got lost the first time I tried to post them.

The Rathosians...well, given what they were presented with--a duplicitous, cowardly Federation that would rather watch them die for science than render assistance, versus the Cardassians who were willing to take a moral stand and fight to save them--they made the right decision and the Federation deserves all the egg in its face that it can possibly get.

I'm also pleased that the Cardassians will be granting temporary asylum to Tibaut and Pemutruch. They ought to be the ones getting a commendation, not condemnation, and if the Federation can't see that, then they deserve to be somewhere safe.

And YAY for Yassel and Aladar!!! I'm so glad Aladar got to be in the Damar Guard--and now he and Yassel are dating. I was also surprised by Yassel's father...given her "disability" I actually expected him to be even more harsh on her than he might be on any of his other children. But he surprised me, in a good way.

I am also very, very glad to see Zeter punished and that Brenok will make sure there are no reprisals.

As for what's happened to Jarol...I have mixed feelings on that. I had hoped that Jarol would come to regret her past without there being some sort of mitigating factor in the way. But, I can say that the research I did on traumatic brain injuries did show that personality changes could result (and also that coma and subdural hematoma, both of which she experienced, point to a serious injury).

What does keep this from feeling like a "cheat," exactly, is that it also seems like it's possible that Jarol did undergo a sort of execution for all that she had done and had become. That doesn't mean the Klingons should've done what they did--that was cowardly and wrong by any standard. But it may mean that Jarol paid for all that she did and all that she had become.

There's just one thing I question, though. How does this test, and this theory, account for the choices people make in life? Her baseline is Jarol as she was right before the injury. Not Atira Darok, the teenager, before she made her decision to join the military. How can she assess, without that, whether what's happened is a wholly unnatural thing, and not a "wiping of the slate" back to what she should have been, without all of the corruption she took into herself?

As an example...what would Fatret make of it if she were presented with my AU Dukat as a patient? (Not because AU Dukat is "crazy," but simply so she can check and make sure his meds are still OK.) Given what she knows about Gul Dukat, how would she explain him, his thought patterns, and his behavior? What would she say about how they do or do not intersect with Gul Dukat's in some form or fashion? I know what my rationale and my theory is, and why I felt justified writing AU Dukat the way I did, but I'm wondering what Fatret would make of those two, if she could talk to one, and then talk to the other.

(Or maybe, it would be better to ask how Fatret would explain Gul Dukat, given that AU Dukat is the good one.)

I'll answer your PM after I go run some errands.