View Single Post
Old July 22 2011, 08:06 PM   #48
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

A-. Best superhero film of the summer (and I liked Thor and X-Men: First Class quite a bit), and I'd put it ahead of other previous Marvel films apart from Iron Man. Some of the reviews thought it was a bit generic, which I can see, though for someone who loves this genre as much as I do, that's not an issue. The superhero period piece is still a rarity, too, so that's more of a novelty (even though after years, we ended up with two in one summer).

First, the skinny effects on Chris Evens were extremely impressive. Some of the best "person" effects I've seen (or, at least, been conscious of seeing); when he bulked up and started looking like himself, I almost missed the CGI version for a second. The rest of the effects looked pretty good, including the Red Skull's appearance. I've seen some complaints about the 3D conversion, but it seemed fine to me (I liked it more than the 3D in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2).

They did a good job not just with Steve but with giving him a supporting cast, something I was a bit concerned about when this was first announced as all-WWII. Team Diversity/the Invaders were done well, though it's a bit odd to see people like Neal McDonough and Derek Luke in such small parts, particularly the former. Though they also had Anne Boleyn from The Tudors show up for one scene, so there you go. Chris Evans was very good, and very unironic, as Steve. Hayley Atwell fit well into the period (and looked smashing). Tommy Lee Jones was Tommy Lee Jones, good for any era as an officer (at least, any American era).

On the subject of the characters, I'll particularly say that the film makes better use of Dr. Erskine than the comics ever have. I think that's one of the things a good actor can bring to a character on screen compared to on the page, where he's really never been more than a plot device.

Alan Menken's song was extremely catchy.

I was interested to see the specifics of Bucky's "death", and yeah, this definitely leaves him open to return in the future.

They did a good job balancing the patriotic elements of his character with modern sensibilities (and they also avoided making any jokes about how stuffy the British are or how cowardly the French are).

- Homer Simpson

Last edited by CaptainCanada; July 22 2011 at 08:16 PM.
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote