View Single Post
Old July 22 2011, 05:02 AM   #20
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: What do Star Trek fans think of Stargate?

Civ001 wrote: View Post
So from people who had watched Star Trek before they watched Stargate what did you think of the show when it came on? The first episode I watched was Grace I was wondering what kind of show this was and what it was but I thought it kind of had a Star Trek feeling to it. I found it to be wierd at first but I soon liked the show as much as I like Star Trek. So what do you think about the show?
It took me a long time to get into Stargate. I remember checking out "Children of the Gods" shortly after it premiered, and was bored. So it took me a while to get back into it and I checked out the occassional episode here or there.

I liked the Goau'ld, the use of mythology, and the SG-1 team was okay enough, though over time RDA became too snarky for my tastes. SG-1 felt too lightweight at times, but over time I came to appreciate the lighter tone a little more; there's nothing wrong with having some space adventures with less gray areas between heroes and villains.

I really didn't become a fulltime watcher until the last 2 seasons, and pretty much have only watched season 9 all the way through. I stuck with Atlantis a little better; I thought it's pilot and first season were pretty good. And with Universe, I appreciated what they were trying to do in changing up the tone, but the show was too much of a slow burn out the gate.

I don't like Stargate as much as Star Trek, though it's like comfort food. It's entertaining enough, usually with a nice mix of action, adventure, and humor.