View Single Post
Old July 21 2011, 11:53 PM   #851
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

T'Baio wrote: View Post
You know, I'm the biggest Fincher fanboy there is, I've literally studied his movies. I'm gonna' come off sounding like a pretentious prick, I know, but still. I have to ask.

How does this look like a Fincher movie, exactly?
I think for me it resembles a Fincher movie because of the color scheme and the tone. Fincher's movies always have a rich and dense color platette and you can immediately tell it is a Fincher movie because of that.

While the color scheme in The Amazing Spider-Man doesn't resemble that to an overwhelming degree, there are similarities. For example, and I am no colorist expert, but there always seems to be a lot of grungy colors in Fincher's movies. Fight Club, for instance, which had a lot of dark, muted colors. The same can be said for pretty much every Fincher movie, including The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I almost feel like brown and dark gold are colors used consistently in Fincher's movies, and right off the bat, those are colors that populate the world of The Amazing Spider-Man.

Tone-wise, Fincher's movies are always darkly serious. There are some moments of black comedy sprinkled throughout all of his movies, most particularly Fight Club, but he always does almost drab, serious, and dark films dealing with heavy subject matter. The tone is always deftly serious, and from the onset that's the tone I get from The Amazing Spider-Man, at least from the trailer. There are some moments of levity, like when Gwen accosts Peter for snooping around, but for the most part the trailer is played very straight and very serious. To me it seems very much inspired by the works of Fincher, at least sub-consciously.

Lastly, like I've said before, the POV Spider-Man sequence at the end of the trailer looked like it could have come from the opening credit sequence of Panic Room. I'm sure The Amazing Spider-Man will have its own identity and will likely be a good balance of serious and comedic elements, and might not be as dark as the trailer suggests, but those were just the first impressions I got from watching the trailer.