View Single Post
Old July 21 2011, 07:34 PM   #28
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

It's odd that the trade outlets like THR and Variety aren't sold on it; it's not like they exactly have biases against praising commercial crowd-pleasers.

Although I laughed at this remark in THR's review:

It’s run by the mad scientist Red Skull (go-to villain guy Hugo Weaving), whose red face may be the result of an experiment gone horribly wrong or just pain embarrassment at the Nazi clichés he is forced to play. He even listens to the soothing strains of Richard Wagner. Yes, he does.
I guess that goes along with the "you and I are alike" dialogue. Sometimes the hoariest of cliches work for the material.

Nor is the review an real pan of the movie - it's a bit more mixed than that:

Director Joe Johnston makes certain that amid all the retro-futuristic nonsense, his nucleus of actors playing SSR heroes fits well together. Evans nicely underplays the role, giving a Gary Cooper-ish air to the young hero who just wants to do the right thing. Atwell is a perfect throwback to that era: Darkly gorgeous yet tough as nails, she would look just at home painted on a bomber fuselage as she is slugging a solider who gives her lip.

Jones knows how to make every moment of screen time count with these grumpy and gruff characters he now plays, but Stan and Cooper aren’t so lucky: Their characters came out a little too thin in Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely‘s screenplay. Meanwhile, Weaving is very one-notish as the villain, which leaves it to Toby Jones, as his sidekick, to add a little nuance to Nazi villainy.

The tech team brilliantly supports the comic book action without any single department showing off or adding unnecessary flourishes. A special tip of the hat to Anna B. Sheppard’s costumes and Rick Heinrichs’ production design for maintaining enough period flavor so the production doesn’t go too overboard.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote