View Single Post
Old July 20 2011, 11:25 PM   #7202
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Re: How is Janeway sexy?

T.D. Possum wrote: View Post
Interesting article. I get the feeling that the author has never watched Star Trek, though.

"When it comes to strong female characters, other genre works of note include "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Farscape," "Firefly" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

No disrespect to Beverly Crusher and Deanna Troi, but it seems to me that Voyager should have been the top Trek pick to use as an example here. Did y'all know the captain on Voyager was a woman?

I'm only nitpicking in a friendly way, though. The topic of women in scifi is one that has been on my mind a lot lately, and it's always good to see an article addressing it.

(ETA: Oh, and J'Rulz, if you are from OK, you can even label yourself a Southerner without too many people arguing with you. It worked for Garth Brooks. *passes J'Rulz a glass of sweet tea*)
Technically, I'm not a southerner, I'm an Army Brat.

As for not watching Voyager... can I get a "HELL YEAH" when I say they not only dissed in absentia "Voyager", but also Deep Space Nine (Major/Col. Kira, Lt Commander Jadzia Dax, and Veddik Rachet (can't recall her DS9 name!), not to mention Star Trek's Enterprise (T'Pol), Babylon 5, Stargate (Capt Samantha Carter), or Stargate Atlantis (Dr Weir, Teyla), or Andromeda (Beka Valentine). And I'm not even going to TRY to mention that fantasy show set in Ancient Greece that ran 1995-2001, premiering a year before Buffy hit the small screen.

Speaking of comic con... ( I know, we weren't, just go with me for a moment) there was a cute article on the 5 panels you shouldn't miss at this year's comic con.

I liked #1!

http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2011/...?iref=obinsite

#1. But if you are at the Con this year you have to come to the panel for the new Adult Swim show, "NTSF:SD:SUV::" (National Terrorism Strike Force: San Diego: Sport Utility Vehicle:, a 15 minute procedural comedy, which dramatizes the heroes that protect San Diego daily from the constant threat of terrorism from countries like Mexico, Guam, and Iceland. Not only do they have a kickass Q&A set up with special guests but they also have an event so secret that Comic-Con wonít even let them announce it. Oh by the way, in interest of full disclosure, I wrote, produce and star in this show, but Iím still entirely impartial.