View Single Post
Old July 19 2011, 02:51 AM   #547
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
You miss the point. Most every-day Joes aren't test-piloting, model-banging egomaniacs who neglect the vast majority of their families. That GL tried to portray Hal Jordan as an every-day Joe who, oh by the way, is a test pilot who wakes up with models and neglects the vast majority of his family, is the basis of the why I believe the film is pretentious.

You don't see it that way? Fine. But the vast majority of moviegoers decided not to see the film -- to the point where it literally bombed at the box office. And I'm pretty sure that my perspective is at least part of the reason why.
You are making this out to be a bit more serious than it is. The Audience does not care to find any similarities between themselves and the heroes/villains of a sci fi action film. All they want is a good, entrtaining, coherent, engaging and flashy piece of movie that'll cheer them up better than the average dull life we all almost lead. Watch First Flight and then also Emerald Warriors to see how a good "Green Lantern" film should be made. Hell, they could have just transferred GL: Secret Origin, with a bit of fat trimmed off, word for word, onto the screen and they'd have had a huge hit in their hands.
The problem here is in your assertions of absolutes. Not every potential audience member will disregard personal connections to the characters of a film. We could debate to what extent audiences need to make connections ... but with respect to the GL film, such a debate is irrelevant: Potential audiences had very little connection to the way GL characters were portrayed in both the promotional materials and in the final product (Dennis notwithstanding).

My point still stands: At least part of the reason why GL bombed is that viewers were either unable or unwilling to connect to the GL characters. Compare that to Iron Man and I think there's a tangible difference in how audiences were able to connect to the character of Tony Stark vs. that of Hal Jordan. One was pretentious (GL -- pretending to be an everyday guy while living a charmed life) while the other reveled in its presentation (IM - fully embracing the charmed life).

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Green Lantern the movie was boring, drab, unimaginative and incoherent from beginning to end.
I agree. But the film certainly didn't intend to be any of those things. It desperately wanted to be taken seriously (the whole Will vs. Fear theme). Because it was trying so hard to be so "serious" (as you might put it), but utterly failed at doing so, I characterize the film as pretentious. And posit that such a failure is one reason why the film didn't live up to studio expectations at the box office.