View Single Post
Old July 17 2011, 07:29 AM   #94
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

Re: Questions for Bring Back Janeway Panel

Hi, all

My question is, why does Star Trek : Voyager Lit continue to fall back on the old 'yank their chains and then hit the reset button' tease used to such bad effect on the show?

Why oh why after so much teasing and heavy hinting and then a seeming pay-off with the Janeway/Chakotay storyline would you then yank the rug out from under it all at the eleventh hour? How can you expect people to continue to invest in Trek characters and their stories by following breadcrumbs you've dropped in previous novels if you then undo everything with the turn of a page? I know I've lost all patience with Trek Lit, and I'm not the only one.

Kind regards,
Gill
I have to admit, I'm a litle confused by this question, but here goes.

I'm not sure how we've been yanking chains and then hitting the reset button in the new novels. Though I completely agree with you that this was one of the most annoying things about the Voyager episodes that made flagrant use of the reset button, as well as the seeming lack of consequences week after week.

Janeway's death had been established prior to Full Circle. If you are saying that Full Circle yanked chains by showing the consumation of Janeway and Chakotay's relationship, only to kill her a few pages later...that certainly wasn't the intent.

Janeway's death was done (in Before Dishonor). In Full Circle I was given the chance to show several months of story that took place before her death, because that's the point at which the last relaunch novel had left off, so I took it. I asked myself what might logically have happened during that time to all of the characters...not just Janeway...and it seemed to me that based on my understanding of the series, as well as a few breadcrumbs I did think I saw in Christie's books, that at some point Janeway and Chakotay would frankly discuss their relationship now that their duty no longer prevented it from becoming something deeper. I feel like maybe you're saying I shouldn't have done that because I knew she was going to die so why put everyone through the extra pain of knowing what might have been between them. But when I'm writing, I'm not thinking like that. I have to ignore what I know of the future to tell the present in the most honest way I can. I felt the conversation between Janeway and Chakotay that happened at Proxima station was long past due, so I wrote it the first opportunity I had. If you feel I was intentionally trying to deceive you there, I apologize, but that certainly wasn't my intent.

As to your current feelings about the books, that's fine. You see what you see and it does not appeal to you. I'm sorry you feel that way.

KB
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote