View Single Post
Old July 15 2011, 10:10 PM   #23
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Re: TOS Voice-Over Actor?

Nice catch on that, Scotpens. Yeah, playing the voice of the Guardian of Forever in my head followed by the announcer in "Bread and Circuses" comes to a complete match for Bartell LaRue. Also, as the lead Provider in "Gamesters of Triskelion." Heh, I feel kind of silly that I never made the connection.

Here's what Memory Alpha shows:
  • "The Squire of Gothos" as Trelane's father (voice). This role had been credited for decades to James Doohan, but it is actually LaRue's voice, as confirmed by Doohan in Starlog Magazine in 1988
  • "The City on the Edge of Forever" as the Guardian of Forever (voice)
  • "Bread and Circuses" as an announcer (voice and on-screen)
  • "The Gamesters of Triskelion" as Provider 1 (voice, uncredited)
  • "Patterns of Force" as an Ekosian newscaster (voice and on-screen)
  • "The Savage Curtain" as Yarnek

About Doohan being mistakened for Trelane's father, I can understand it... but what I'd originally thought to be Bartell LaRue was James Doohan as the announcer at Mission Control in "Assignment: Earth".

I really like how James Doohan did so many voices for TOS. His Scottish accent for Scotty was so realistic, it's easy to believe that this was his true accent and that he didn't have any others. There's something about his voice articulation as M5 that hints it was Doohan, but I'd never have guessed it for the others.

Funny thing about Vic Perrin... he was the Control Voice in "The Outer Limits". He speaks a bit faster than he did on Star Trek, but you can hear the timber of his voice. He was also the voice for Nomad. Again, it sounds like he changed his vocalizations just a little from what he did as Tharn, more sterile and thus robotic in quality. He definitely did not do Balok, though.