View Single Post
Old July 13 2011, 07:28 PM   #94
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Netflix shoots itself in the foot... aka no more free streaming

LeadHead wrote: View Post
I think people are blowing this waaaay out of proportion. Streaming started out as free because there wasn't a market for it yet. Nobody knew what it was and very few ppl had the ability to use it. Now, millions and millions use it, and millions more have the ability to use it. Major change. also, most people I know, use streaming exclusively, so the DVD's are extraneous to them.

The streaming service has a life of it's own now, it should be separate. Despite the fact that the studios aren't big fans of the streaming concept, if Netflix has the resources to buy the big titles and even more content, they'll sell it to them.

I think this is a debatable decision, but it's getting blown way out of proportion.
Yeah, it's also worth pointing out that Netflix had a user cap built into the streaming licensing because they had no idea it would take off so quickly. Now they have no choice but to renegotiate the licensing and they fully expect the studios to demand extortionate fees, since they can see just how much people like streaming.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote