View Single Post
Old July 12 2011, 07:21 AM   #28
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

Re: Questions for Bring Back Janeway Panel

BillJ wrote: View Post
These are about the Voyager relaunch and Janeway...

1. Do you have a definite story-arc in mind for Afsarah Eden and will the character be "moved on" like Admiral Batiste at the end of the arc? I haven't finished Children of the Storm yet.
Yes, I already know all of Eden's backstory, and a few pieces of it are contained in Children of the Storm. But do you honestly think I can share any of that with you right now?

2. If alive, was there a way to naturally integrate Janeway into the Voyager relaunch at the start?
Sure. Had Before Dishonor never happened, and the choice to pursue Janeway's death never been made, she would obviously have been a large part of the continuing stories. She would likely have led the fleet back to the DQ, but I honestly haven't given that particular road not traveled too much thought, so I can't say exactly how it would all have worked.

3. Do you think think the stories would have evolved the same way with Janeway at the center of the Voyager relaunch?
Some of them...I'm thinking mainly about Tom, B'Elanna, Seven, Harry and the Doctor here. The biggest difference would have involved Chakotay, and that would really have been the challenge. He was made Captain of Voyager in Golden's novels but there was serious work that needed to be done to deepen and strengthen his character. The death of the woman he loved and planned to spend the rest of his life with gave us unprecedented opportunties to go deeper with him than ever before. In the absense of that catalyst, I would have had to find another way to achieve similar results.

4. Do you think having Janeway at the center would've changed the work you've done to rehabilitate the background characters from the TV series?
Yes and no. All of the characters needes some serious obstacles placed in their paths to overcome. It is in rising to face new challenges that character is revealed, both in life and in stories. But Janeway's presence is not in and of itself an obstacle. If Janeway is there, the content changes, but if I'd done my job right, not the quality in terms of deep and meaningful exploration of all of the characters, which was always the goal.

5. If brought back, do you see a way to organically integrate Janeway into the current relaunch storyline?
Absolutely. The issue has never been can she return, but should she. Were she to return, integrating her organically without sacrificing some of the newer, more complicated dynamics between everyone else would be the task at hand.

Thanks again for breathing new life into a dead series. While I'm opposed to the concept, I would at least sample any book that brings back Janeway that has your name on the cover. Time to settle into my chair and read some more Children of the Storm.
Well, for me it was never dead. (Maybe mostly dead.) I kid...I kid...but thanks for the vote of confidence in any case.

KB
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote