View Single Post
Old July 12 2011, 05:22 AM   #204
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Kegg wrote: View Post
I really liked A Feast for Crows. Sure, it has some boring chapters, but all the books did (Brienne's stuff isn't worse than Arya's in earlier books); but the King's Landing stuff is top notch*, Arya finally gets an arc worth the character's time and the 'Alayne' stuff is also great.
Brienne minus Jaime = dullness. And compared to Arya, her travelling companions are nowhere near as interesting. And I also can't agree about the Sansa stuff. Really don't give a flying fart about all the Vale lords, and her last chapter describing her descent from the Eyrie was every bit as snooze-inducing as Catelyn's ascent in AGoT.

And then on the sidelines we spend more time with the Vikings of the Iron Islands, who are fun, and Aeron Damphair is completely, wonderfully bonkers.
Meh... All the Iron Islander machismo never really appealed to me, nor any of the Greyjoys for that matter.

*Granted, King's Landing is usually the best stuff of any given book so that's no surprise.
I agree, however I didn't like it as much this time around, since Cersei is such an inept fool compared to Tyrion. And it was a little hard getting a handle on all the new courtiers and councilors. (And honestly, who can ever keep the Kettleblacks straight? ) About the only one I really liked was Qyburn, as I'm dying to know just what exactly what "Dr. Mengele" is doing down there in the dungeons!