View Single Post
Old July 12 2011, 02:05 AM   #37
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: From Risa With Love--An Adventure Of Dr. Julian Bashir

And now...a little "build-up" scene, as our heroes prepare for their mission. As always, it's not a "Bond" story without gadgets of one kind or another....

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
"From Risa With Love"

Chapter 6

When he returned to her apartment, Cynthia was waiting for him—still in the green dress. Despite himself, Bashir let out a chuckle.

Holland tilted her head. “What?”

“What, you don’t have a field uniform?”

She gave a slight blush. “Oh, I—seem to have misplaced it. I like this better, anyway.”

Bashir shrugged. “Well—I’d hate for that to be damaged—”

She laughed. “Don’t worry…these are quite functional.”

I’m sure they are.

“So,” Bashir said, “What do we have, then?”

She grinned, holding up a large Starfleet-issue case. “Look at these.” She set it on the desk, opening it, taking out the tools, one by one.

First was a small cylinder—much like a hypospray. “This is for allowing us into the building—deactivating the security device for one of the secondary entranceways.”

“A lock pick.”

“More or less. But naturally, we’d not want to be detected by the scanners, inside.”

“I’d say not. Your solution?”

This,” she held up a smaller device, resembling a tricorder scanner, “should interfere with our bio-signs. When activated, it warps the scanning signal, bending it around us—much like a…”

Bashir nodded, smiling. “…cloaking device!”

“Yes…but someone on the level would still see us, obviously.” She took out a second, handing it to him. “You’ll want to put this in your tricorder, as well. One for each of us.”

Bashir took it, tilting his head. “You carry two?”

Holland shrugged.

Bashir chuckled. “Should I consider myself lucky—or are you always assigned two of everything?”

“Oh, not everything, Doctor—this is merely essential for every agent on the field. It wouldn’t do for something to happen to this on assignment. It’s recommended we have backup for that.”

“Oh, of course…. Anything else?”

“Well, I have an assortment of standard-issue sabotage devices…they should short-circuit the reactor, and detonate at a pre-set time afterwards.”

“Yes—about that. I sincerely hope that won’t affect the turbolifts.”

“Oh, it shouldn’t.”

“Well, that’s good. I don’t recall seeing any alternative exits in the scan—stairways to the main level…?”

“There’re not—doubtless for security reasons.”

Bashir nodded. “Well, I’d hate to be stuck down there….”

The girl shrugged again. “We shouldn’t. Still…if the worst should happen—we could always open the top of the lift, and climb….”

Bashir sighed. “I don’t suppose you have a belt with a grapple.”

She shook her head.

“Well, then,” he muttered, “We’d better hope you’re right about the lifts. I can’t say I came here to end up sore—at best.”

Cynthia chuckled. “Neither did I.”

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote