View Single Post
Old July 11 2011, 10:10 AM   #11
Art Vandelay
Captain

Re: La-La Land Records Releasing a 3-CD Set of TNG Scores at Comic-Con

Christopher wrote: View Post
I hope eventually we get a release of some of Paul Baillargeon's stuff from DS9/VGR/ENT. He did some interesting work, and I think he's the only regular composer from the later Trek series who hasn't had a soundtrack release yet.
Interesting is an apt euphemism to describe Baillargeon's work. I have to admit that I strongly dislike his scores - it's like he goes out of his way to have the music be tuneless and jarring. My wife, who is a decent musician, describes his work as "throwing random notes at sheets of music".

Every once in a while, his music thankfully introduced motifs (the final seconds of DS9's The Muse, The Siege of AR-558, VOY's Blink of an Eye), but most of the time he falls back on just being random. His final work on Enterprise (Demons) was every bit as odd as his debut episode Shakaar.

Now, if we could get some David Bell on CD... (Apart from Bride of Chaotica!, which was released on some best-of CD more than a decade ago. Owing to the nature of the episode, this was more like a collection of source music than an actual soundtrack.)
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote