View Single Post
Old July 9 2011, 07:41 PM   #9
starri
Lieutenant

Re: Humanoid Sexuality in TrekLit (Minor Spoilers for VGD: Declassifie

I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that TrekLit has featured the "Dead Gay" trope too often. I also think it's important to bear in mind that they probably never meant to use that trope as often as they have or to imply that there's something wrong with being LGBT or what-have-you. One can point out the need to improve their depictions of LGBTs without implying that it's for want of effort or ill will.
If I implied that, it was completely unintentional, and I apologize. I certainly don't think there's any kind of sinister purpose behind the turn of events, and as I've said, I think all of the TrekLit authors and editors deserve a lot of credit for being much braver about the issue than any of the people at the filmed Trek, and I know of at least two out gay producers there.

But, like I said, there was something about the VGD death that stuck in my craw
. Maybe that jumped out at me because two days after I finished Declassified, I married my fellow Trekkie partner of eight years and it had more resonance for me that it might have otherwise.

TNG has Picard and Beverly, TTN has Will and Deanna, VOY has B'Elanna and Tom, ENT has T'Pol and Trip, and sure, all of those series have seen deaths of straight characters too. I just kind of wish, in 2011, Trek would be able to give us a stable gay or lesbian relationship with a major character (and I'm not advocating just switching around an existing character for the sake of diversity, but it would be nice if a gay man or a lesbian got a happy ending for once too.

I'm sorry, I just want to repeat that I truly hope haven't insulted any of our writers. More than anything, I want to read stories that are good, but this is just something that's been bugging me for about a week.

Thank all of you for the wonderful stories.
starri is offline   Reply With Quote