View Single Post
Old July 9 2011, 01:03 AM   #3779
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
How many stadiums in Britain are club-owned these days by the way?
Arsenal, Aston Villa, Blackburn, Bolton, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle, Norwich, QPR, Stoke, Sunderland, Tottenham, West Brom, Wigan and Wolves all own their own stadium.

The only two Premier League sides that don't are Manchester City, who's ground is owned by Manchester City Council (built for the 2002 Commonwealth Games), and Swansea City, who's ground is owned by Swansea City Council.

I miss the good old times, though when everybody was scared of Juventus.
Some of the best European nights that I can remember featured Man Utd and Juventus. Those fixtures were a pseudo representation of the re-emergence of English football and the decline of Italian football in the Champions League - for a number of years Utd couldn't beat Juventus, and then they just beat them for fun. I remember one game when United had already qualified, where they sent out Giggs, Neville and mostly reserves/youngsters, and they won 3-0 with Gary Neville hitting the bar from about 30 yards!

I miss having strong Italian sides in the Champions League - it's a bit boring at the moment, as barring the odd exception (Inter - Bayern) it's predominantly English and Spanish sides monopolising the final in recent years. It would be great for Italian football if Juve came good again.

Gutted to see Sampdoria go down last season. Always kept an eye on their results since they started showing Serie A over here about 20 years ago. It was the year when Sampdoria won the title, with Boskov's team of Gianluca Pagliuca, Gianluca Vialli, Roberto Mancini, Toninho Cerezo, Pietro Vierchowod and Attilio Lombardo - fantastic side to watch that season.