View Single Post
Old July 8 2011, 05:34 PM   #73
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: Would it really matter if the next Trek series were on linear TV?

AviTrek wrote: View Post
if soaps can make it work financially via an online only approach, then it's possible that someone will take a shot at a sci fi show next.
I think there is a huge difference between soap operas with multigenerational audiences of mostly women and a scifi genre tv show to stream/download via a subscription as people noted here in this thread:
Poll: provider for new Trek series as original series download

A brand new series with this model is totally different than say a Trek TV series that is in it's 4th season on a linear TV channel and threatened with cancellation. With the right # of people subscribing it could be 'saved'.
But for say a new Star Trek series with unknown Trek actors for the cast to get off the ground it is a very hard sell.
It's totally different with someone like Howard Stern who went to Sirius Radio and a bunch of people subscribed. He was basically doing the same style of show.

I think if someone were to try scifi as a subscription based model it would have to be a Battlestar Galactica series or Stargate or another big franchise with a built-in audience such as the next Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome.

I think what would work for a new series may be having the 90 minute pilot in theaters and then have a series as a subscription streaming/download online only.
The pilot could also air on a linear TV channel say a month later after the cinema and then the subscription episodes start say 3 months after the pilot was in digital cinema.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote