View Single Post
Old July 7 2011, 03:59 AM   #8
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Sigils/SigCat: "A Dark Creation Tale"

It seemed for me that for a universe to be THAT messed-up, something had to be much more fundamentally off.

It's always hard to tell how much is the Prophets and how much is Sisko-as-Prophet. OR, alternately, if the Prophets' awareness of the situation in fact derives from Sisko.

But I think that this kind of incident also explains how it could be true that the Bajorans had a great civilization before humans even learned how to speak, yet were not outrageously advanced when the Cardassians came.

As for the MU...it's almost like (in my universes, anyway) the tremendous loss when the canon Dukat chose evil, but multiplied over an enormous scale. It's part fate--but part choice.

The two historical flashpoints I chose are not the only ones that went wrong. Worldwide and universe-wide, so many other choices were botched. Surak failed. Kahless failed. In some way the Oralian Way failed (more severely, perhaps, than in the canon Sigils universe). I have some much more detailed ideas on why evil is SO powerful in this universe and good is so weak, and I can PM you with that if you like, including more details on how various pieces of the history you saw here fit together. It is entrenched to a greater degree than it is here in this world, and really is harder for people to resist. But there is a pattern in my MU--a group does get together and does try to stop it, but just as they reach the cusp of greatness, a choice is made that instead triggers a painful downfall. And that pattern occurs again and again.

As for the MU Ferengi...I also have a theory as to why they might be the ones who, if they can't turn it around, can at least forestall the ultimate downfall, or separate into an enclave of better people, less affected by the evil around them. Believe it or not, there are actually some clues in canon Ferengi history. Just let me know if you're interested and I can PM you that, too.

Thanks for reading!