View Single Post
Old July 6 2011, 09:54 PM   #463
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

I just saw it for the first time, in 3D. I gave it a B- in the poll. Here is some brief feedback.

Any problems I had with the look, effects, and actors were minor compared to the movie's most serious problem: the lack of a coherent story. It began very strong, but by the last act everything was definitely unraveling and going nowhere.

I felt that the central theme that the movie had to offer was the realization that Hal didn't need to be fearless, but rather that he could have fear if he could overcome it. This realization should have occurred exactly at the climax of the film, but alas this realization was dispensed with before the climax, which instead was just a light show with zero emotional impact. The idea that Parallax could be so easily destroyed also made no sense. In addition, I felt that the whole last act was padded out with too many throw-away scenes hinging on clichés, like the smooch before the final battle and the everybody-clear-the-street scene.

It's a shame that the movie had all of the technical components that it needed, and ironic that what plagues it is the most low-tech issue of all: writing.

Mark Strong was very, very good, and probably gave the best portrayal in the movie. To be honest, I thought the movie looked really great.