View Single Post
Old June 26 2011, 01:24 PM   #325
Lieut. Arex
Fleet Captain

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Lieut. Arex wrote: View Post
That it was the asteroid belt never occurred to me. The field covers a limited area and the size of the sun when Hal looks at it is larger than it would appear from Earth rather than smaller. More like what one would see near Venus. I'd guess it's the rocky remnants of a comet with all the volatiles boiled away. Yeah, it's too dense to be that either, but it's not the asteroid belt.
Then what was it?
Uh...

I'd guess it's the rocky remnants of a comet with all the volatiles boiled away. Yeah, it's too dense to be that either, but it's not the asteroid belt.

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I also would have liked to see Hal spend more time on Oa, befriending Tomar-Re and earning Kilowog's grudging respect. I say that because I thought it would have been nice to see them, and only them, go with Hal to try and save Earth. But of course both would have to be incapacitated during the battle, leaving Hal to stop Parallax on his own.
Pre-production art shows this very thing, those four fighting Parallax in Coast City. My guess is the filmmakers decided it was best Hal defeat the villain on his own. That those three show up so quickly at the end has got to be a left-over from the earlier draft.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
That it was the asteroid belt never occurred to me. The field covers a limited area and the size of the sun when Hal looks at it is larger than it would appear from Earth rather than smaller. More like what one would see near Venus. I'd guess it's the rocky remnants of a comet with all the volatiles boiled away. Yeah, it's too dense to be that either, but it's not the asteroid belt.

Well, it CAN'T be the asteroid belt, because it's the other direction. Realistically, it's not the remnants of a comet either.

You know what it is? A writer and a director's poorly thought out idea.
No doubt. I would have preferred a running battle through the Solar System and set this action, if you gotta have Parallax and Hal fight in a rockpile, in Saturn's rings or have them smash an Apollo-type asteroid in the fight. Anything other than an unrealistically dense clump of rocks in the inner system.
Lieut. Arex is offline   Reply With Quote