View Single Post
Old June 24 2011, 02:26 AM   #44
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Did anyone else in this thread watch the new Battlestar Galactica? They were remaking episodes of the original show all the way up to the last season, often in considerably greater scope and wildly different execution. Compare "The Return of Starbuck" to "You Can't Go Home Again", "Lost Planet of the Gods" to the "Kobol's Last Gleaming" nine-parter, "The Living Legend" to "Pegasus"/"Resurrection Ship", and, most surprisingly...

I very much doubt this is just going to be a photonovel of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" with Chris Pine's face pasted over William Shatner's. I'd be the only commonalities will be a big pink blob at the edge of the galaxy, and the fact that some folks get psychic powers from the same. After that, I fully expect things to go in a wildly divergent direction. I'll be shocked (albeit pleasantly) if Gary Mitchell even shows up.

And I don't see how this premise can be used to judge the ability of the writers. As the authors in this forum have stressed over and over and over, premises and ideas are a dime a dozen. It's the execution that matters. "The Galactica crew finds the legendary homeworld of humanity, Kobol, and discovers a vital clue towards the location of Earth" describes plots in the original and new BSGs, but I doubt anyone would say they were identical, or interchangeable, or a sign of lack of talent among the remake's writers (unless they were going to say that about the concept of remaking BSG as a whole, of course).

For that matter, "A planet-destroying menace is eating it's way through the galaxy, and only the Enterprise stands in its way" describes "The Doomsday Machine" and "The Immunity Syndrome."

Last edited by David cgc; June 24 2011 at 03:14 AM.
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote