View Single Post
Old June 20 2011, 06:03 AM   #178
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

RAMA wrote: View Post
OK so I wrote a long review and lost it in a crash...so needless to say at the moment I'm just going to post a grade...B+

Grrr

Edit: Some quick thoughts: I thought the animated movie was better overall. I saw the movie in 3D and I enjoyed that aspect. Its only my second one but I enjoyed indoctrinating a newcomer to it as well and she was gasping at the beginning! I thought Oa was breathtaking. Weakest part: the ending. More on this tomo...

RAMA

I thought Oa was vastly underwhelming, unfortunately. Didn't care for the Guardians council area or the generic rocky place where the GL's assembled en masse. Both came off as set pieces rather than something believable....Heck, I would've preffered some variation of the council chamber you typically saw in the old comics.

Another problem I had with the movie, though it's not exclusive to this movie, is the overly busy design element. Sometimes less is more. Oa especially had this, as well as the GL suits for all. I would've preferred something a little less busy...but with some detail of course.

Overall, I gave the movie a D+. Unlike, say Iron Man, Reynolds could not shoulder the movie the way Downey did. The love story just felt like something I've seen a billion times, and some of the editing and writing left me shaking my head.

For me I feel like the negatives outweigh the positives. The ending was just awful and I felt like they really needed to cut elsewhere to give us an ending that felt epic. Something to really "Wow!!" the audience and get this franchise going in a big way.