View Single Post
Old June 19 2011, 07:15 PM   #140
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

I think this is interesting, from Box Office Mojo.

This weekend, Green Lantern's light was more red than green, but the comic book adaptation still drew an estimated $52.7 million on approximately 7,200 screens at 3,816 locations.

Green Lantern's start landed behind X-Men: First Class's $55.1 million and Thor's $65.7 million. It was also less than The Incredible Hulk and the two Fantastic Four movies, and the attendance disparity was even greater. Green Lantern's estimated attendance was even lower than Daredevil and Ghost Rider.

3D presentations at 2,711 locations accounted for 45 percent of Green Lantern's gross. The 3D share was close to Kung Fu Panda 2 and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides but down from Thor's 60 percent. Distributor Warner Bros.' exit polling indicated that 64 percent of Green Lantern's audience was male and 63 percent was over 25 years old (19 percent was under 18).
3D was less that HALF of the box office. Which is interesting to me. Wasn't it filmed FOR 3D, unlike the upconverted Thor? Perhaps the upconversions--which aren't that great--are spoiling the well for those filmed in 3D. 3D is already an added expense, and if it's not worth it....

But, the attendance being lower than those other movies... that's not good. Especially with the amount of advertising. I'm getting a little sick of all the GL stuff I'm seeing.