View Single Post
Old June 18 2011, 01:07 AM   #28
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth
Re: Farscape First time watch thread....

RandyS wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
I Grok Spock wrote: View Post
I even get a little 80s Buck Rogers vibe from it, which is a good thing.
IIRC, the concept of Buck Rogers was an influence on the Farscape premise. You know, a guy from our recognizable present is shot into a science fiction world.
I've always seen Farscape as a cross between Buck Rogers and Voyager, only with better writing.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Buck Rogers and Voyager, parts of them anyway. But, of the three, Farscape is the better show.

Indeed. Farscape was probably my first experience with 'postmodern' science fiction... really, it was one of the first SF series I recall that made self-reference, pop culture and genre lampshade hanging a centerpiece of the series, before EVERYONE was doing it.

Now before I get blasted, I do realize, however that Buffy the Vampire Slayer, who did much the same thing to the horror genre, came first, chronologically, but I experienced Farscape first, so that's what matters in my book.

Can you even imagine a hypothetical meeting between Chrichton and Buffy? How many seconds would it take for the situation to collapse into a pop culture meta-implosion?
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote