View Single Post
Old June 15 2011, 10:00 PM   #13
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

Re: JD's Comic Book Thread

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
JonnyQuest037 wrote: View Post
Batman: Year One is a really good read. You'll probably recognize a few bits from it that they used in Batman Begins. Superman: Secret Origin was okay IMO, but I prefer the John Byrne Man of Steel version.
Absolutely. At no point in Man of Steel do the Legion of Supeheroes show up with expressions on their faces that indicate they want to wear your skin.
Ha! Yeah, I guess some of the smiles that Gary Frank gave them were a bit intense at times. I rather liked the Secret Origin version of Superboy, though. He operates in costume with the Legion in the 30th Century and is an unseen "urban legend" in the 20th-21st.

Also, it puts forward my personal favorite version of Krypton, the sterile, inhuman Krypton, which will probably never return as everyone else but Byrne and me seems to hate the place.
I really liked the visual designs Byrne did for Krypton (it was way overdue for an upgrade in 1986). The sterility and the reason for it blowing up, not so much.

But everyone always forgets about Superman: Birthright, which was the retcon between the two, by Mark Waid and--well, somebody drew it, I assume. Superman's my vegetarian hero.
I only got a couple issues into that one. Hated Lenil Francis Yu's artwork. I think if DC had found a more appropriate artist to draw that series, it might not have been thrown out of continuity so quickly.

Batman: Year One is a seminal piece of comics art. David Mazzuchelli is in full force. Frank Miller writes some words, too, but these aren't terribly important.
Yeah. Too bad Miller didn't quit doing Batman while he was ahead. With Batman/Spawn, The Dark Knight Strikes Again and All-Star Batman & Robin, the bad far outweighs the good now. The only thing I really dislike about Batman: Year One is the prostitute backstory for Catwoman. But the absolute coolest thing about it is that David Mazzuchelli draws Bruce Wayne as Gregory Peck.

...but then I realized that this took place in the past, when Hal Jordan was a pretty decent character (DUIs, statutory rape, doing nothing for the brown skins--you know, recognizable flaws).
I'm pretty sure the DUI / jailtime stuff from Emerald Dawn has been retconned away (Thank God), and the Arisa thing has also been retconned so that she is now hundreds of years old in Earth years and only a "teenager" on her native planet.

Young Hal still does nothing for the black skins until John Stewart comes along, though.