View Single Post
Old June 12 2011, 02:44 AM   #221
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: ST: Shaping a Cardassian - "Strength Without Sacrifice is Useless"

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
I am sure that some things cannot be stopped and that some "reading" cannot be avoided by a Betazoid. But Ram is fully aware how uninvited reading is taken by non-telepaths and I think she trained herself to be able to control her mind as best as possible. Maybe some Vulcan techniques, or something like that.
It would be ironic if some of her self-discipline techniques were even Cardassian in origin, even if they were part of a technique given to her by another species!

For my Betazoids, I think the most that a fully telepathic Betazoid would be able to do would be to learn to block images and words. But I'm not sure mine could stop sensing emotions without taking drugs or having invasive surgery. Some of the most powerful ones (like my Professor Shalwa) may not be able to fully stop "overhearing." The best they can do is learn discretion, and be very, very careful about judging people with only fragmentary and very out-of-context evidence. (Actually, I think it's this kind of discipline on Professor Shalwa's part that made her the good diversity instructor. She hears things she can't help hearing, but she learned a way of thinking about it, and appreciating each individual as they are, that turned into an appreciation she passes on to her students. )

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I wonder how Zamarran would feel if he found out that this Betazoid believes in asking permission?
He would be positively surprised. And maybe a bit guilty about Yassel's ability to read the voices. It's not the same, as Yassel doesn't violate privacy and uses only what's readily available, but Zamarran would still feel like it's cheating a bit.
With his strong sense of honor, I can see why he'd feel that way, even though I agree it's not the same.