View Single Post
Old June 12 2011, 02:33 AM   #220
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: ST: Shaping a Cardassian - "Strength Without Sacrifice is Useless"

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
One question, though. How much is a Betazoid, in your universe, unable to control, and how much is a deliberate probe? At least in mine, there are certain things that my Betazoids are unable to help sensing.

I like how Captain Ram doesn't deliberately probe people without asking. (I wonder, though...under what circumstances would she feel the situation is appropriate to ask?)
I am sure that some things cannot be stopped and that some "reading" cannot be avoided by a Betazoid. But Ram is fully aware how uninvited reading is taken by non-telepaths and I think she trained herself to be able to control her mind as best as possible. Maybe some Vulcan techniques, or something like that.

In addition, Zamarran is a man of discipline, so I am sure that even if she wanted to read him, she wouldn't be able to. With her not trying and keeping her mind locked and his shielding his--she wouldn't know much of what he's thinking.
I wonder how Zamarran would feel if he found out that this Betazoid believes in asking permission?
He would be positively surprised. And maybe a bit guilty about Yassel's ability to read the voices. It's not the same, as Yassel doesn't violate privacy and uses only what's readily available, but Zamarran would still feel like it's cheating a bit.
I loved the scene where they found all that chaos in the wardroom! Do you think that some of these scientists have weaker hierarchical instincts? (Kind of like my Iymender, who actually has a diagnosable issue, by Cardassian standards.)
I think that the highest ranking ones didn't follow the protocol for whatever reason. The lower ranking scientists just follow their leaders.
I'm coming to like Ensign Tibaut...a little bit. But a duck-blind scientist is not high up on my totem pole of people to consider deserving of my liking them. At least she was able to see that these Cardassians weren't scaled monsters.
I wonder what you'll think of her after the next chapter, which will be posted shortly.