View Single Post
Old June 11 2011, 12:41 PM   #434
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Skywalker wrote: View Post
According to Box Office Mojo, as of June 9th it was at $73.9 million domestically and $74.6 million internationally, for a worldwide total of $148.5 million so far.
People speak of overseas grosses as if they meant anything... Movies need to be really HUGE globally in order for studios to make money off them overseas.

Realistically, First class' isn't likely to break even on ticket sales, let alone make a profit, but DVD sales and TV rights are where the money is anyway, so it still holds a good chance at being considered a success by Fox.

At this point, I doubt that First class will reach Wolverine's $180 mil. domestic total, which was in fact considered a failure back then, even though that movie was a full $10 mil. cheaper to make. IIRC, there was gonna be a whole series of "Origins" movies (with "Magneto" next in line), but Wolverine's disappointing run got TPTB to take the franchise in a different direction instead.

I've heard somewhere that FC sequel was already in the works, and while I most definitely hope that's true, I'd dump Matthew Vaughn and give it back to Singer. All of it.