Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Can't say as it worries me too much as I'll be playing it on the PC.

Still, I'm not opposed to more serious games like ME3 trying to have a crack at actually using some of these new peripherals. More often than not they end up being little more than gimmicks that most developers have no idea how to integrate them with gameplay.

Personally though I've never used any of the current motion sensor systems (never played on a Wii, Xbox or PS3) so I have no real sense of how they work. But from what I've occasionally read, Kinetic seems to be the one with the most potential IF they can find a good way to use it that doesn't exclusively involve flailing your limbs in front of the telly.

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Based on the Kinect integration they've shown, that shouldn't have set back development too much. The delay is more than likely because 2011 was too ambitious a target (not many people were expecting it to come out before 2012 until the teaser trailer last December) and they realised they weren't going to meet it.

Anyway, the new footage shown at the EA presser looked cool. Also, Legion! :D

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Just watching the video now. I like the new holographic spike weapon wotsit. I'm sure it'll come in handy when you get swarmed by husks.

Looking at how they're using Mordin has me thinking that they must have had to do a lot of redundant voice work in this game for characters that may not have survived ME2. Presumably they'll do what they did for Wrex and substitute the dead character (possibly Mordin in this case) with a very similar character to fill basically the same role.

4. TheGodBen

I just watched GameTrailers' footage from the first level as Shepard tries to escape Earth. It looked epic. :drool:

Plus, you get to shout at a frightened kid if you choose to. (The demo player did not. :()

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, Renegade Shep. You keep putting the truth in the statement "Commander Shepard is a jerk" :techman:

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I just had a look on GT as well. Great stuff! The combat looks much more frenetic and a little less dependent on sticking in cover. I'm sure playing as a Vanguard will suddenly become a lot more fun. ;)

One of the few things that bothered me about ME2's combat was that Shepard would often feel like a head on a stick, only able to bend it's knees in proximity to a wall and is rendered helpless when confronted with enemies that flail their limbs in melee encounters. So I'm very happy that all of this appears to have been addressed. Say what you will about Bioware; but they defiantly listen to criticism and know when something isn't working.

Also, I love that you get Anderson as a squad mate (at least for a while.) This is a man who we're told was once a candidate for the spectres and until now, all we've seen him do (aside from punching out Udina or getting shot by C-Sec) isstand around on the citadel, not being terribly helpful.

P.S. Anyone else thing they're cheating by having the Krogan female wear a burqa? ;)

7. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it brings out her eyes.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Anyone else getting a bad feeling about Anderson being Shepard's sidekick in the opening mission? If BioWare sticks to their formula... :eek:

9. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're assisted throughout the first mission by Ulgo Trask, Private Jenkins, and Wilson.

10. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

As well as those two Grey Warden wannabe's whose names I've forgotten, one of Hawke's siblings...

Poor Captain Anderson. :(

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, that occurred to me too. Perhaps this time they'll break the trend? After all, those other characters were created specifically for that first mission while Anderson is established. Plus in your first missions you're also accompanied by Kaiden, Jacob, Alistair, the 'other' Hawke sibling and Avaline. All of which can stay as squadmates for the rest of the game...more or less.

Perhaps the demo starts *after* the redshirt team mate gets killed?

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I dunno. Anderson is Shepard's mentor and his biggest supporter. Characters like that tend not to live to see the end of the story. Plus killing Anderson would be kind of an "oh crap we're in serious trouble!" moment. I kind of think they ended that clip just before Anderson bites the dust.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^ That also occurred to me. ;)

I honestly think it could go either way though frankly I'd be happy with either outcome.

I don't know about anyone else but I think I've seen enough on ME3 to allay any lingering doubts. From here on out I'll be trying to avoid further spoilers and gameplay footage. It's going to be a long 9 months!

14. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I've seen a lot of ME3 videos from yesterday, but I haven't seen anything that shows or references Anderson yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

15. TheGodBen

16. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Thanks!

17. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Cheers, awesome videos :)

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Looks amazing in that video but hope they lock the frame rate down more, it was so much better in ME2 and being very dodgy in ME 1.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'm sure there's plenty of time to optimise and work out most of the bugs between now and when it's released. I'm pretty sure at this point it'd still be in alpha.

In other news the details for the collector's edition have been released. Looks like they're stealing ideas from the Dragon Age team as there's going to be a robo-mabari companion. I think it's just for the Normandy though, not an in-game combat thing. I do wonder about the extra character & mission bit though. Probably similar to Zaeed in ME2 so probably not worth getting excited about. One assumes everything DLC-wise save perhaps the N7 weapons will be in a not so fancy digital deluxe download package like with ME2, though they probably won't say so until they've secured a fair number of hardcore gamer pre-orders.

20. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I heard the N7 weapons are in the Digital Deluxe pack. The DLC mission and the physical stuff aren't included.