View Single Post
Old June 8 2011, 04:11 AM   #642
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

I don't really like slasher movies. They simply fail to scare me. Here's my abbreviated plot summary flow-chart of every slasher movie I've ever watched:

Character introduction -> *slice slice slice slice slice slice* -> Brief character development -> *slice slice slice slice slice* -> Slasher defeated (unless enough money is generated for a sequel... then he retroactively gains immortality and/or leaves family behind)

Seriously. Every slasher movie I've ever seen boils down some form of the above.

Contrast with a non-slasher horror movie, say, Event Horizon. There's mystery! There's characters whom you actually care about if they get killed! A good horror story, in my opinion, is never about seeing how much you can shock and appall the mainstream with a meat cleaver and a bottle of fake blood; it's about writing a really suspenseful story that keeps you shaking and makes you check under your bedsheets.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote