Thread: Fitness Checkin
View Single Post
Old June 7 2011, 07:29 PM   #598
John O.
Rear Admiral

Re: Fitness Checkin

I'm attempting to shift to a 'more eating/ less lifting' routine to put on weight. I'm going to the gym 3 days on, 2 days off... but sometimes i cheat and that 2 days off becomes 1 day on, 1 day off... and I'm usually there about 2 hours. I think it's a little too much bc no matter how much I eat I just can't gain weight. Hovering around 145 and the goal was 160 by June 15 but there's no way that's gonna happen. If this new routine pans out I might hit 150 though. I think I was just burning too many calories. It's kind of counterintuitive to go to the gym less to pack on more muscle but I"m starting to think that the whole 'powerlifting' regime is fundamentally more about recovery than about breakdown; unlike a cardio-resistance hybrid type regimen where you just convert basic levels of fat weight into muscle weight and then plateau.

Have some new maxes to report though... been steadily climbing even though I haven't reported all of them. Leg pressed 710 but failed on 3rd rep. Managed 685 to 5 reps. Straight bench 230 to 2 reps and failed cuz I tripped the peg... had a spotter who caught it. Tried again and managed 4 pretty shallow reps. Also incline DB press 55's to failure, stopped and did 50s to about 6 reps. Also maxed on something I Just started doing - using the actual 'leg press machine' that doesn't use free weight plates, doing them single leg. Hit 200 on each leg, only recently started trying that - I think it's going to be good. I think when you two-leg press you get a lot of stability and balance from your pelvis, hips and lower back... doing it single leg probably isolates the quad and hamstring more for stability. Should be a good way to break through any plateau walls.
Trip n' T'Pol are Alive and Well at Triaxian Silk
John O. is offline   Reply With Quote