View Single Post
Old June 4 2011, 03:40 AM   #70
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

A fucking +! I thought the movie was outstanding. Any doubts or criticisms I had were gone after this film.

James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender completely owned this movie. Patrick Stewart was a great choice for Xavier but they never gave the character a chance to shine in the movies. McAvoy is given that chance and excels. Fassbender is a strong Magneto and the relationship between him and Charles is convincing. In the comics, they really weren't friends for a long period of time (Uncanny X-Men #161) but it totally worked in this film.

Kevin Bacon is an effective villain as Sebastian Shaw. I remember the character well from the comics...is his Nazi past something they created for the film? Although it's a depature from the comics, I really liked Rose Bryne as Moira. I would assume she leaves the CIA and later becomes a geneticist. Charles mind-wiping her is classic Xavier...not in a good way, of course. And hey, you get to see Bryne in lingerie so that's a good thing. January Jones was fine as Emma although I'm more used to the snarky Emma now.

I remember thinking that the X students themselves really didn't get enough time to be fleshed out but they came together well at the end. Jennifer Lawrence was terrific and Nicholas Hault was good too. The Xavier/Mystique relationship was jarring at first but again, it worked and it provided a good character arc for Mystique. We also get to see the usual suspects in military roles...Michael Ironside and Glenn Morshower. Poor Darwin...he shows the most personality of the team every on but sadly gets turned into the token black guy.

Two of the things I was looking forward to was the 60s setting where the X-Men comic began and the "First Class" concept and those elements didn't disappoint. The FX was also very good here and the flight scenes (combat and otherwise) were very convincing. Everything came together very well to explain how Charles and Magneto became the man they were. Good twists and turns too.

I was spoiled about the Wolverine cameo but I still loved it.

I'm definitely very interested to see where they go from here. I'm hoping we get a new version of the "All-New, All-Different" X-Men down the line. Maybe that can involve Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Lorna Dane...hell, even Thunderbird. Every movie needs canon fodder. Just ask Darwin.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote