X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I don't think it's happened before :) I could be wrong...

2. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

Has it ever? If it has I want someone to beam me back to that time so I can enjoy it.

But it really does look like that is going to happen, even Green Lantern is looking better and better.

3. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think there has been this many superhero movies in this frequency and especially clumped this close together.

4. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Was going to catch the midnight showing but it won't work out with work and my friends aren't up for it so going tomorrow evening instead, can't wait!

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I wasn't all that excited about this movie, but the promos make it look pretty good.

- It's a period piece, which makes it all the more interesting.

- Charles Xavier is bald but once had thick lustrous hair.

- Yellow spandex doesn't look so bad afterall. Okay, the outfits aren't spandex, but they're yellow and they work.

6. Admiral_Young

The score is out...and it is awesome. Probably my favorite since John Ottman's excellent X2 score.

7. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yay soundtrack! Still no other merchandise that I've heard. I was going to go to the Midnight show, but I figured it would be too crazy.

To the folks who have dittoed being 'anxious about' First Class- are you anxious about as in weary of the film or anxious *for* as in can't wait? I suppose one could be both, and I see some who had negative expectations are now looking at the positive.

Maybe the summer comic movies will be good, but remember Green Hornet started the year of the superhero off in dismal fashion ;)

8. Admiral_Young

^ "dismal" is an understatement. It was atrocious.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see the point of doing a Magneto Origins film, if they're still planning to do that. Doesn't the beginning of the first X-Men film, along with First Class, basically cover that topic?

10. Obiwanshinobi

This movie is essentially that. And no they're not pushing forward with a Magneto Origins movie.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I work tomorrow, but I'm off Thursday so hopefully I'll get to see it then

12. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A funny article with Fassbender talking about First Class and Prometheus:

Metro had asked you before about working with green screens, but a lot of your performance demands a lot of intense cringing, because you move things with your mind…

Constipation, yes. I know, I was watching it last night thinking, “God, really. Just get on with it, man. Eat some prunes.” It’s like, how do you go about doing stuff like that? I didn’t really know. What I was interested in doing here was that he doesn’t really know the full effect of his powers, so it’s all a learning process and it is a bit messy. And then by the second one, I think it’ll be a lot more sort of like yoga. He’ll be a lot more centered and will have more control of his moves. But yeah, there were a few people laughing in the theater last night. I was like, “shut up, all right? Give me a break, okay? You try f—king lifting a submarine, smart ass.”

:)

http://www.metro.us/newyork/enterta...michael-fassbender-talks-x-men-and-prometheus

Come on Friday!

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Well, there is a free screenin' goin' on this week, but I didn't bother for a pass, since the start time was nine o'clock Thursday night. I can just stay local for the midnight show.

Kinda lookin' forward to it...I've found something to like in all of the X-Men movies, so far, even the third one & Wolverine.

14. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Wow. It was awesome. I was so glad I saw it tonight. A+

First off, Michael Fassbender is amazing as Magneto. But James McAvoy is just as good as Charles. The rest of the supporting cast is good too. But it's the story and how it's told that me want to see this film again.

The soundtrack fits really well to the film. Gonna find a way of getting it.

15. Obiwanshinobi

Glad to hear! Now I'm gonna avoid this thread for the next few days until I've seen it.

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

SPOILERS WILL FOLLOW! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

LAST CHANCE.

SERIOUSLY.

OK. that was freaking awesome. i loved how they explained how come Sebby was in WW2 and still looking young in the '60s. (man that tash sucked though). Fasbbender and McAvoy were both awesome. I loved the 2 nods to Charles' future hair-loss. I also loved Emma's diamond form. I was totally not shocked by Angel's defection or by Darwin's death. the former becuase i saw a clip in a trailer where she was manning the sub with Azazel and the latter because Darwin was barely in any trailers so it seemed obvious major shit would happen to him. Loved seeing Beast as a furry guy and being feral. loved Banshee. (shame Beast didn't say 'you want to be named after a screaming woman?) Moira was great too. Michael Ironside and Glenn Morshower had great little roles. Those guys are awesome. Emma's diamond form was really well realised. FX wise, it was only really let down by some obviously-CGI'd stuff like the dish and the Moscow parade. The Wolverine bit was cool, if unneeded.

overall A++++ best X-flick of the lot.

17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of X-Men Origins: Magneto, I certainly wouldn't mind an entire movie starring Michael Fassbender hunting down evil Nazi's, but it looks like First Class has taken that movie and truncated it down to its bare essentials, which is probably a good thing.

18. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there a scene after the credits?

19. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

nope.

several people were staying in my screening, so i thought maybe there was. but there wasn't.

20. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Its gets points from me for that alone!