Cutter John wrote:
I have to give Notch props for taking care of bugs in a fairly prompt manner. I think its just the way he just tends to add features in a random, half-assed sort of way, then just seems to forget about them. Wolves, the Nether, Achievement, that sort of thing. They're good ideas, but they only seem half finished.
He may not have a full design in mind. He may implement an idea when he thinks of one. Sees how it adds to the gameplay and how the community feel about it, before determining how to perfect it, or deciding whether it's worth perfecting at all.
I can certainly see that, as there are lots of features that seem abandoned or have lots of potential but aren't there yet.
Yeah, actually a mini-map at this resolution I think would be far better, because at least then the resolution it's at would make sense. But a whole map? It feels too much like a wasted potential. I mean, I can understand why he did so in terms of the nature of the game and how everything else is in relation, but some rules are just meant to be broken. It's one of those ideas that likely sound better on paper.
Ben, what's that you're holding? Looks like a shield.
So, 1.6.6 is out now. Among the changes:
- Added a new use for bonemeal
- Changed the material of glowstone from “glass” to “stone”. This means you need a pickaxe to get resources from it
- Made glowstone drop more loot
- Made the recipe sizes for creating cloth blocks and glowstone blocks smaller (2x2 instead of 3x3)
- Re-introduced unlimited FPS, renamed the option again
- Fixed beds not working very well at all in SMP
- Fixed destroying a boat spawning the player too low, causing them to sometimes fall through the ground
- Boats float up to the surface quicker
- Boats falling down into water lose their vertical momentum very fast
- Removed Herobrine
Oh and apparently the new use for bonemeal is to be able to repopulate areas with grass patches.