View Single Post
Old May 25 2011, 03:13 AM   #656
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral
Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--The Thirteenth Order

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
I'm enjoying the tactical decision-making and the descriptions of the fleet movements. You put as much thought into that as you do anything else, which is a nice change from a lot of screen Trek, to be honest. And the sense of actual battle comes through well - I've always felt it must be hard to write effective war scenes, but The Thirteenth Order has a really satisfying way of keeping the action and tension controlled, so as to be effective without drawing attention away from all the other details of this world - the characters, the language, the culture. Your writing is always so measured, but not in a way that holds anything back, instead it's neatly effective at communicating the desired content.
Thanks. For how I write war, I am actually somewhat inspired by things like Band of Brothers, Tora! Tora! Tora!, and the new version of Battlestar Galactica.

In this particular case, though, I was also inspired by submarine warfare, kind of like in The Hunt for Red October. I think that as far as the writing style for these kinds of scenes, for better or for worse, it takes most after Tom Clancy.

It strikes me that there's almost a Star Wars feel to this, with the mobile rebel force trying to outwit the more powerful and established force ruling their territories.
Interesting...I actually had not made a connection to Star Wars.

I really liked the little cross-service confusion about calling the CO to the bridge - or, the lack of a need to. Makes sense to me - I mean, where else is the gul going to be headed if the ship's rocking itself to pieces? He or she is not going to be wandering down to the mess to pick up a fish juice.
Exactly. Unless the gul is incapacitated, or cut off from the bridge, there really isn't a reason to doubt.

Again, other than that I don't quite know what to say, because it's high quality as usual. One of these days I'll find a major flaw and be merciless about it; this I vow!

Thanks for reading!

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
Shields still seemed to be holding…years of experience had taught him the difference between a direct structural hit and the concussive push as the paired attractor and repulsor shield generators that lent shape and a set distance as well as power to the shields fought to restore balance between themselves and transmitted that force straight to the ship’s structure through the resistance of the repulsors. This had been that kind of hit.
I must find some engineer to tell me what it all means

High quality technobabble!
Well...I tried to make it a little than the usual Treknobabble.

I think I can explain what I meant, and hopefully it will make sense.

In real life, there is no way that we are aware of to shape an electromagnetic field. Shaping plasma would probably not be easy either.

In my Trek universe (inspired by Diane Duane), there are two types of fields a ship employs: the skinfield (slang for structural integrity field), and shields. The skinfield is the near-descendent of the polarized hull plating. Its job is to repel space debris, and also to help keep the ship from flying apart at high velocities. It's not a shaped field; it conforms to the shape of the hull.

What we've seen on the series indicates that the shields are a shaped field that appear at a distance from the ship's hull. One thing that never made sense to me was seeing the ship rock when the shields (as opposed to the hull) was hit. After all, the blow has not actually hit the hull and space shouldn't have so many particles that it could actually convey the shock through the shields to the ship. From my layman's knowledge of physics, that did not make sense.

So then I used my BS in B.S. to come up with something that could explain two things that didn't make sense in isolation: force being conveyed through the shields to the ship, and the existence of a shaped field not actually contiguous to the ship's hull.

It occurred to me that there might not be just one shield generator, but two, emitting two opposite forces: an attracting force, and a repelling force. The thin area in between is where the shields exist. I don't know what kind of Treknobabble gets THAT to happen, but it would potentially get around the problem of not being able to shape a forcefield. So when you hit the shields (hitting against what the repulsor generator is doing), the attractor generator has to compensate for the blow. If the two do not stay in balance, then if a killswitch doesn't cause the shields to cut off first, the repulsor would likely be the first generator to fail, and if the attractor generator is still going, it could cause that powerful field to snap back onto the ship, which would interact with the skinfield and hull in all sorts of nasty ways.

But to head this off, there's a safety that cuts off the shields if the damage or the imbalance becomes too severe. This puts the ship at great risk, yes, but with a good helmsman and engineering team, they still stand a chance of getting out of the area even with shields down, which in my universe is considered a better risk to run than the terrible destruction that would come from the shields snapping back onto the hull.

Wow, Speros surprised me. Agreeing the Spiro's idea so fast...But then, he didn't have that much of a choice, especially if he didn't have a better idea than that.
This was definitely a time-sensitive situation, to be sure.

But that moment of hesitation, when Berat almost begged in the privacy of his thoughts for showing some trust. He got what he needed, but I am not sure if it was his imagination, or Spirodopoulos really took a long moment (considering the situation, it was a long moment if it was noticeable) before making the decision of sharing the information.

A very good, engaging instalment
I think it did take Spirodopoulos a moment to make his decision. Not dangerously long, but you're a situation like that, you feel every millisecond of it.

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
Good scene--hoping for more pretty darn soon!
Thanks for reading!

BTW...out of curiosity, at what point in the Final Chapter are we, right now?
This might surprise you, but this is not that long after "The Changing Face of Evil."

One thing about the Sigils universe--which differs from most universes I've seen--is that I assume the events of the final chapter take place not over just a few days or weeks, as the series might seem to indicate, but over a span of months.
Are you a Cardassian fan, citizen? Prove your loyalty--check out my fanfic universe, Star Trek: Sigils and Unions. Or keep the faith on my AU Cardassia, Sigils and Unions: Catacombs of Oralius!
Nerys Ghemor is offline   Reply With Quote